It’s that time of year when sore throats are circulating around. Mask wearing due to COVID, causes bacteria in the nose and mouth to be breathed back in, making it worse.
Have you also ever felt that something wasn’t right in your throat and then discovered a white spot or two toward the back of your throat as you examined it in the mirror under a bright light? Patients describe a foreign body sensation, or a feeling like something is stuck in their throat and can be a frequent cause of bad breath. They will often cough up or hack out these so-called tonsil stones.
Tonsil stones are soft and stinky, white, or yellow balls of solid pus, which form in the crypts of the tonsils.
They consist of bacteria, white blood cells and protein. They are not food particles stuck in the tonsils. Most of the time, it’s caused by the bacteria in the nose and sinuses, which drip down the back of the throat.
Post-nasal drip provides the perfect environment for bacteria to thrive and multiply. However, chronic irritation from viruses, allergens, yeast, and even dry mouth can cause them too. Both tonsillitis and strep throat, will also result in white spots, with extreme swelling, pain, trouble swallowing and sometimes difficulty breathing.
Consuming dairy and soy products create a mucus environment for pathogens to multiply. Therefore, eliminate dairy and soy from the diet. Try almond milk, coconut milk or oat milk substitutes.
Here are some simple things you can do at the first sign of a sore throat &/or white tonsil stones to make them go away and avoid a trip to the doctor.
- Salt water & hydrogen peroxide throat gargle. To 1 cup of warm water add ½ tsp of salt and ½ tsp hydrogen peroxide. Gargle & spit out until solution is gone ( Do Not Swallow ) then gargle with plain water to rinse. Do this at least twice a day.
- Spray throat with an anti-viral / anti-bacterial. We have found in our practice Colloidal Silver (10ppm) safe for anyone including children (looks like water & tastes like water.) Throat Rescue by Peaceful Mountain is a 30 ppm colloidal silver spray with some peppermint added, which is very soothing.
- For more intense sore throats Barlow’s Herbal Throat spray contains lomatium which is a super antibacterial and works great. Use either one or both several times a day.
- Eliminate dairy & soy products from your diet, particularly if you have chronic sore throats. They create a mucus environment which virus, bacteria and fungus love.
- Keep your sinuses clean. Many throat infections begin with sinus drainage. Daily frequent use of Xlear Nasal spray (Xlear) with xylitol washes the sinuses of allergens and pathogens.
- Colloidal Silver nasal spray frequently to clean out allergens and germs. Safe for children too!
- If you have chronic sinus infections use Sinuorega nasal spray (North American Herb & Spice) as often as needed. It is a little harsh so go easy the 1st time spraying, however it will open up the sinuses and kill off any bacteria your nose is harboring.
- To eliminate the infection from the inside, take Oregano oil capsules or Anti-V capsules as directed on the label.
- For children Beta glucan 10mg (Solary) ½ cap or 1 cap opened into juice or applesauce and colloidal silver 1 tsp 3 x day orally is helpful.
- If you think you might have strep, go to your doctor, and get tested. You can still do as stated above to get better quicker in addition to whatever your doctor suggests or prescribes.
Feel free to share this information with family, friends, and co-workers! Together we can help create a healthier community!
For more help contact us on our radio program Holistic Healthline every Saturday 8am -10am EST Toll Free 1-866-920-9455 or contact our office at the Tree of Life Wellness Center 508-336-4242.
Jane Jansen Holistic Practitioner
Tree of Life Wellness Center, Seekonk, MA 02771
Host Holistic Healthline Radio holistichealthline.com